Grand Canyon University has been an incredible partner to the Scottsdale Charros and to Scottsdale public schools. In the spring of 2023, the Charros introduced The Charro Foundation Grand Canyon University Scholarship, awarding one $2,500 scholarship to a student who is graduating from high school in the Scottsdale Unified School District and will be attending Grand Canyon University in the fall.
One scholarship recipient receives $2,500 deposited to Grand Canyon University in July of 2024 for the 2024-2025 academic year. These funds may be used for the following:
- Tuition and fees at Grand Canyon University.
- The cost of books and educational supplies required for a course of study.
- Miscellaneous school expenses such as parking fees, technology, etc.
All scholarship recipients must meet the qualifications outlined in the following scholarship application. Completed applications must be submitted to The Charro Foundation by February 29, 2024. Incomplete applications will not be considered for scholarship funding.
The scholarship recipient will be notified in March 2024, after the application review and assessment process is complete. Recipient will be honored at our Scottsdale Charros Education Awards event on April 19, 2024.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen, a legal resident of Arizona for at least two consecutive years, and be graduated from a Scottsdale Unified School District high school.
- Attain a cumulative grade-point average of no less than 3.0 in high school academic subjects.
- Provide evidence of leadership experience and significant interest in one or more extracurricular and community activities.
- The scholarship is awarded only in support of study at Grand Canyon University.
Your application will consist of the following elements:
- Applicant Information Form: provides basic applicant information and also provides an opportunity to list your accomplishments and tell the selection committee about your interests.
- Applicant Essay: 500-word essay addressing the following: “What I want to study at GCU, my future goals, and how this scholarship assistance will help me achieve my goals.”
- Teacher/Professional Reference Form: Must be downloaded, completed by a teacher or professional colleague and uploaded with your application or emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
An initial review of applications will be made by the Scottsdale Charros and staff. Completed and qualified applications will then be assessed by a review panel on the basis of the applicant’s overall record of achievements, and activities; together with an appraisal of the qualities of intellect and character by student-selected references. Candidates will be considered without consideration of race, gender, color, religion, physical handicap, age and national origin. The following criteria are considered in selecting Scottsdale Community College Scholarship recipients: 1) academic assessment, 2) essay, 3) personal achievement.
If you have any questions about this scholarship, please call the Scottsdale Charros office at (480) 990-2977.