The result of banter at the Pink Pony among town ‘movers and shakers’ and the then-manager of the Baltimore Orioles, Paul Richards, the Scottsdale Baseball Club formed, raised money and built a wooden stadium on the northeast corner of what is now Osborn Road and Drinkwater Boulevard, designed to host the Baltimore Orioles for spring training in February-March 1956. Land for the stadium was leased from that owner by the Civic Coordinating Council.
The Scottsdale Charros have been hosting spring training since 1961. Fitting within their initial stated purpose of being Scottsdale’s Goodwill Ambassadors, the Charros knew that spring training baseball would continue to be a significant boost to Scottsdale tourism by bringing in visitors to the games and put Scottsdale on the map as a destination through game broadcastings.
The Charro Foundation works closely with a number of organizations which share our passion to strengthen our communities and build a better future for our children. We have proudly collaborated with the entities below to provide educational programming, support, and opportunity to our communities. We acknowledge and thank them for them for their time and efforts to support our missions.